The Legend

The Legend

Monday, November 24, 2014

Premier Cards

2008 UD Premier Clemente/Parker/Bay Triple Jersey /50

If you were a Pirates collector in 2008 variety was hard to find. Most new releases included Jason Bay with the possible sprinkling of Freddy Sanchez. One of the hidden perks with Bay being in every release was that he helped bring down the cost of cards that would normally be too expensive for my tastes. 

Anytime you have a game used Clemente card you can expect to pay top dollar. In some instances the inclusion of certain players can work in the buyers favor. While Bay at the time was putting up star numbers he was not expensive in the world of cards. I can't remember exactly what I paid for this card, but the price must have been low enough to get my attention. I'm guessing it would had to been less than $50 maybe ever more.

I made a similar purchase when I got a Magic Johnson/ Joe Alexander dual auto. I'm the only person on earth that wanted that card because of Joe Alexander and it showed as the price was well below what a normal Magic auto would pull on eBay. 


One of the more one sided dual autos you will ever find. 

While I want all Pirate and WVU players to do well, it sometimes can be rewarding to use the secondary market shortcomings of one player to acquire one that normally would be out of reach. Thanks Jason and Joe for helping me obtain Roberto and Magic!





14 comments:

  1. My 2007-2008 binders can be really depressing to look through. There weren't many base cards that weren't Sanchez or Bay, and the few that were ended up being guys like Chris Duffy. It's still surprisingly tough to find Bay cards, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being excited when Duffy got a few autos. Looking back it was just sad.

      Delete
  2. Count me in as jealous of your Clemente PC. And while I'm not a fan of Magic (Michigan State guy), that's a big addition too. Nice pickups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely search for Clemente anymore. Just outrageously expensive.

      The Magic auto is pretty cool. I've often used crappy Pirate or WVU players as an excuse to get autos of guys I like. Couple years back I got a Tony Sanchez/Buster Posey dual auto.

      Delete
  3. Well, I am very jealous of that Magic auto, sticker or not !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you happen to find another copy of this card it will probably cost you about half of what a normal Magic would.

      Delete
  4. Haha Magic and Joe Alexander. Lop-sided, good call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me laugh every time I see it. I have several Alexander's in which he is matched up with Kevin Love as well.

      Delete
  5. Nice pick up on the Magic..
    Odd the company would even make that card to begin with but good for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was just a subset in which Magic was featured with most of the lottery picks. Guess they all can't be winners.

      Delete
  6. The triple relic is awesome! The Magic... I mean Joe is cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. You know you want a Joe Alexander auto like all the other cool kids.

      Delete
    2. To be honest... I actually paid high dollar (probably $10 to $15) for a 2008/09 Topps Signature sticker autograph of Joe Alexander. Topps was going to lose their NBA license and that product was their way of dumping all of their sticker autographs. Anyways... Joe was one of the short prints in the set.

      Delete
    3. Alexander was never super expensive. That was right on par of what you should have paid during that time period. He was a lottery pick. Even the low numbered stuff still demands a little money.

      Delete