The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Reaching the Summit

1996 Pinnacle Summit Artist's Proof Jason Kendall

It is funny how some sets just totally escape your mind.  Summit was only produced two years (95 and 96). From what I've read collectors just kind of shrugged their shoulders and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it.  I vaguely remember this card design, but for the life of me I couldn't remember if I owned the Kendall from the set.

When this specific Kendall popped up I knew I needed it because it was the Artist's Proof. These were hard finds (1:36 packs) which was the equivalent of two boxes. This card was probably a pretty good score back in the day as Kendall was popular.

I purchased the card for around $2.50 as part of a bigger bulk order.  The card just had a nice look with the black and gold trim to match the Pirates uniform.  For the life of me I don't remember seeing these in the mid 90's even though I was an active collector at the time.  Any of you guys remember these?

Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. I was one of the shoulder shruggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actively collecting at the time, but couldn't remember the set.

      Delete
  2. Not even a shoulder shrugger... That was part of the time frame I didn't collect. But, I do like that design quite a bit. The home plate picture frame is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only Summit I cared about was the candy bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a lot of the sets released during my childhood went on to be shoulder shruggers. I have no recollection of late '90s/early 2000s brands like Pros & Prospects, Fleer Genuine, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sets are right in my wheelhouse but I still don't remember Summit.

      Delete