The Legend

The Legend

Friday, October 20, 2017

Cards That Would Make my Head Explode

Being that it is Friday my mind begins to drift from work mode to things/activities that I actually like. Today the thought popped in my mind about what currently non existing card would blow my mind the most as a card collector.  I'm sure many of you have thought about this so I'll throw a few out. I consider these for the most part reasonably possible of happening.


- Bob Walk certified auto -  I'll put this first as I think the only real possibility would be in the Archives Fan Favorites auto subset. In theory it makes sense as Bob was a pretty beloved Pirate and has served as a longtime announcer after his playing days.  I would be contractually obligated to hoard as many as possible.


- Bob Walk new base card - Some possibilities exist here since he is still involved as an announcer.



- Mike "Spanky" Lavalliere certified auto (Pirates uniform) - He actually has one in the White Sox uniform which I do own.  Extra bonus if it is a nickname oriented set in which he signs it Spanky.


- Jay Bell certified auto - I'm actually surprised this one hasn't happened yet.  He played on all the good early 90's Pirate teams and won a World Series with the Dbacks.  

- Bobby Bonilla certified auto - I'm sure the reason this one doesn't exist is more on the player than the company.  While Bonilla is not well liked, most of that hatred came after his Pirate days. 

This list could be a whole lot longer if I included players still actively playing.  To keep things short his another short list of former Pirates that I'm disappointed to never receive a certified auto in the Bucco uniform.
- AJ Burnett
- Russell Martin
- Francisco Liriano

As you can see all three played huge roles in the Pirates becoming a respectable franchise again. For some reason none of them received a ton of cardboard love. I blame Henry Owens.

What cards would you like to see? 

Thanks for reading. 



23 comments:

  1. Those would be cool. I'd like to see a certified Fred McGriff auto in a Padres uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be cool. Has the Crime Dog signed lately? Feel like he did for a couple years straight, but has gone missing in action.

      Delete
  2. An auto booklet card of all the players traded to the Pirates from the Yankees in the last 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Spanky Buyback Leaf certified auto if you want it.

    Great choices.

    I would like to add that an Omar Moreno, Mark Melancon, and Manny Sanguillen autos all in Pirates uniforms of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot he signed some of the buybacks from Leaf. I always forget about that set.

      Delete
    2. Manny Sanguillen would be a great choice. How has he not been in Fan Favorites.

      Delete
  4. Dave Stieb/Pat Hentgen/Roy Halladay triple auto..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure a lot of Blue Jays fans would like that!

      Delete
  5. I'm still waiting for a card with the full infield of my youth on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I would be happy with that one. It might as well be a triple auto with Russel Martin and Chris Stewart.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to see Topps do a Cards That Never Were series that focus on guys who never received a card on a certain team -- Orlando Cepeda as a Royal, George Foster with the White Sox, Boog Powell as a Dodger, etc., etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marlon Byrd/Justin Morneau Pirates dual auto with a "2013 Postseason" jersey patch swatch. Would give my right arm to own that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that card as well. Need something showing Byrd homering off Cueto.

      Delete
  9. Masanori Murakami "solo" certified autograph from his days with the San Francisco Giants.

    ReplyDelete