The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, December 17, 2017

A Rare Tradition

I always slow my card purchasing down during the holidays to keep spending in check.  Some years I've even halted purchases in December all together. This year that wasn't as necessary as I saved a good bit of money by avoiding retail packs and high end singles. So while purchasing has been limited, I've continued to do my usual browsing.  This allowed me to find a hidden gem that in years past I would have missed.


2006 Fleer Tradition Sean Casey Printing Plate

I've never went all in on printing plates over the years.  I'm not a player collector so the need to have every card under the sun was not there.  Also, they are just not that attractive.  If I come up with a top ten favorite card list in my collection a printing plate wouldn't crack the list.

With all that being said I do have a decent amount of plates in my collection.  When I do spend money on them it is for a player that has seen little cardboard love as a Pirate.  Such is the case with this Sean Casey. 

I spent $10 on this card which is the top end of my comfort zone for these type of cards.  Truth be told I would have probably even gone a little further because I really wanted the card. Casey spent only half a season as a Buc so the Bucco cardboard portfolio is light.  This is now the most unique card I have of him in my collection. I do believe one or two autos exist as well, but they rarely pop up and sell surprisingly high.  

Thanks for reading! 

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you picked that up because I almost bought it for you but decided against it for a few reasons, mainly because I didn't want to have to wait for it to send a package out your way. $10 is usually my upper limit for most plates too.

    By the way, I do remember Casey being with the Pirates because the Tigers traded for him that year ('06) and he went on to have a fantastic playoffs for Detroit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always looking out for me. It is especially nice to have an extra set of eyes on these limited checklist type of players. They are sometimes hard to keep on the radar via eBay auction.

      Delete
  2. Had no clue that Casey played with the Pirates. Congratulations on adding that plate to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he may have had 200 at bats. Very easy to miss unless you were a Pirate fan.

      Delete
  3. $10 is a good upper limit for plates. I try not to go over that myself. Not even over $8, if I can help it. The only ones I can recall going over on were all for wrestling or non-sport PCs. The kind of stuff where it doesn't feel like it's already been done to death, y'know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely on the same wavelength. More fun to grab someone like Sean Casey than say Starling Marte. Marte probably has hundreds of plates as a Pirate where Casey just has a handful.

      Delete
  4. I don't remember him as a Pirate...which also leads me to ask...why didn't they ever trade him to the Yankees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys probably didn't have a catcher to send us

      Delete