The Legend

The Legend

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Favorite Card of 2017

P-town Tom is holding a contest in which all you have to do is post about your favorite card of 2017 to be entered.  Always nice when someone else decides a post topic for you.

Compared to the last couple of years I purchased far less current year cards.  Looking back my only consistent 2017 purchase was Pirate oriented Topps Now cards.  I really got into hunting some obscure late 90's, early 2000's Buccos which took a good part of attention away from current releases.

With all that being said, several cards from 2017 did pop up in my mind as being memorable.

Here are my 3 honorable mentions....

2017 Topps Now Jameson Taillon Auto /25

This makes the short list more because of the hunt than the actual card itself. For the longest time I had all the NOW releases that featured Pirates minus this auto.  A couple of these sat with high BIN prices on eBay, but I thankfully waited for one to hit auction.  Sure enough my patience paid off and I secured the auto. 

2017 Panini Unparalleled Quinton Spain /5

As most of you know I'm just as crazy about my WVU collection than my Pirates, but I just don't use the blog to show them off as much.  Much like my Pirates purchases this year, WVU current year acquisitions were few and far between.  One of those purchases stands out though....

Like most in our community I love the obscure. Maybe that middle reliever who gets his first card or obscure rookie that finally gets his first major release. They are always exciting cards to chase. When I found out former WVU offensive lineman Quinton Spain was getting his first major release I was all over it. Extra bonus points for it being a crazy ass diecut. 

2017 Topps Pro Debut Will Craig Auto /10

It would be a huge understatement to say that I've enjoyed having a Pirates affiliate in my backyard. I literally have a three minute drive to the stadium and can buy a standing room ticket for $8.  

Will Craig marks the third player to be represented in a WV Black Bears uniform for a major release. I've had my fingers crossed that Heritage Minors would feature a Black Bear, but so far only Pro Debut has come through.  Maybe next year....

Now for my favorite......



2017 Topps NOW Josh Harrison 

This card commemorates the first time in MLB history that a walk off homer ended a no hit bid.  Rich Hill was actually perfect through 8 innings but a Logan Forsythe error ended the perfect game bid. The back of the NOW card sets the stage for Harrison's walkoff in the 10th.

To me this card is perfect for several reasons.  You have a unique front and back of the card and it documents a first in MLB history moment.  I'm the first to admit the NOW program is walk off happy, but this one definitely warranted the card.  It showcases how good the NOW program can be.

Thanks for the contest Tom!  






17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I would be better at coming up with a list from 1999

      Delete
  2. A Christmas card that Gavin's gonna have to pony up to get in the future lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Quinton Spain card. The pattern kind of reminds me of a Topps Tek card.
    Thanks for entering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an excellent Topps Now card and that moment is very deserving of a card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cool moment in an otherwise forgettable season for the Pirates.

      Delete
  5. Your welcome for that Josh Harrison walk-off - I turned on the game not a minute before Josh destroyed Rich Hill's dreams. It was kind of cool seeing a former Cub and a former Cubs prospect as part of one of the highlights of the year!

    Oh yea, awesome cards too! That Spain could put an eye out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to give it to Harrison. It is hard for a non prospect type of player to work to the level he has reached. He has turned himself into a very good player.

      Delete
  6. Nice choice! Definitely one of the most exciting home runs hit this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the only "WOW" game for the Pirates all season.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I saw your Cutch choice....I think I like it better than mine!

      Delete