The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Happy Days

I'm a self admitted baseball junkie. When something important happens with the Pirates my phone will send me updates like crazy.  Today while eating my lunch I received notification that the Pirates gave Francisco Cervelli a three year extension. I was pretty excited. The deal is worth 31 million.

The deal was surprising for a few different reasons.  First, the Pirates have two catching prospects in Elias Diaz and Reese McGuire. Diaz just recently had shoulder surgery so it is a possibility that this year will be a lost season for him.  McGuire wasn't going to have any impact at the MLB level for at least another year and half.  He is only 21 so he still has a substantial amount of development to be mlb ready.  I guess the Pirates wanted a little more certainty behind the plate.

Next, I was surprised that Cervelli only signed for 3 years.  Many suspected that if he would have hit the open market after this season that 4 or even 5 years was possible.  I guess you really can't blame a guy for taking the guaranteed money when you play such a demanding position.

I don't know how long Cervelli can continue to play on the level he has been since joining the Pirates, but it will be fun to watch him for three more seasons.

Cards!!!








12 comments:

  1. I miss him. I wish him all the best with Pittsburgh. I'm surprised he's been able to be healthy long enough to show everyone what he's got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think he has missed one game because of injury.

      Delete
  2. Good signing for Pittsburgh; the Pirates should get value on that contract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a rare signing of someone past the age of 30.

      Delete
  3. I knew you'd be celebrating as soon as I read this. Very nice signing for the Bucs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole starting lineup is signed next year too.

      Delete
  4. Man. Cervelli getting 30 mil. What a world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the start of last year only Posey has more catcher WAR. He has turned it up a notch.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Always fun when you can keep productive players around. Plus it helps get rid of the old narrative that the Pirates don't keep good players.

      Delete
  6. Kudos to Cervelli... and that's a sweet pair of 1/1's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he has had quite a bit of adversity. He has worked himself back to being a nice player.

      Delete