The Legend

The Legend

Saturday, May 14, 2016

San Diego Box Bustin'

While I was in San Diego I made a stop at a downtown card shop. The shop was stocked full of cool items, but looked like it could have been featured on an episode of Hoarders. My friend even told me afterward that he would have probably spent some money in the shop if he could have actually navigated to the items. I wish I would have taken a picture, it was a trainwreck.

As for me I was looking to buy a few packs, but noticed a significant stack of new baseball products including 2016 Diamond Kings. The owners initial price was high, but after a little negotiating he gave me a good price and I went with a whole box.

The box had some good names in it, but lacked a big punch.  I actually just opened another box for our transatlantic break that I thought was really good.  More on that tomorrow.

 This is one of those in between autos.  Not a huge name, but still an established player.

 Framed relic of Winfield!

 You can't go wrong with Clemente. Always exciting to add cards of the Pirate legend.

It was cool to see Panini have Elias Diaz in many of its 2016 sets. Diaz is currently injured, but will likely take over the starting catching job next year. His bat is still a big question mark, but is a highly decorated defender.

It is no secret that I love the Diamond Kings set. I might actually open another box for myself in the near future.  Tomorrow I'll give a sneak peak in what the transatlantic box yielded.

Thanks for reading.


12 comments:

  1. Diamond Kings is one of my favorite products each year. Will definitely try to get some singles or a few packs this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty affordable. If what happened last year holds true, boxes will come down ~10 dollars in the coming months.

      Delete
  2. i've picked up a few of the dodger singles and really like them - especially the walter o'malley card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panini blows Topps out of the water with checklists. Always can find something unique.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Well it shouldn't be too much. Didn't I email you what the big pull was?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yeah it was a cool pull. I've been pretty good about pulling hall of famer relics from DK.

      Delete
  5. You can just barely see a tiny bit of pinstripe on the Winfield relic. Are those two different Clemente cards or is the horizontal one the back of the card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two different. He has several cards in the set.

      Delete
  6. Like the look of that frame relic. If only Panini had an MLB license. If only. If only.

    P.S. The Panik is cool too. Just picked up a Panik autograph today. I have wanted one since he was with the SJ Giants a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His stuff was really hot last year when he had his breakout season. Things have cooled considerably now. Glad you picked one up and even better that you were patient.

      Delete