The Legend

The Legend

Monday, May 16, 2016

Korean Import

2016 Topps Museum Collection Jung Ho Kang Auto Dual Relic /299

I probably made the mistake of not paying attention to Kang cards while he was out. He has been featured in enough sets now that you can find nice autos around the $20 mark. While for most players I would consider $20 on the high side, for Kang I feel like that is going to be as cheap as they get for the foreseeable future. 

When Kang debuted I was cautiously optimistic because several scouts gave favorable reviews based on what he did in spring training. It took about a month for him to get playing time, but once he did he produced. The scouts that had reservations were worried that he couldn't catch up with big league fastballs because of his extreme leg kick. He has handled them so well that he rarely sees fastballs during his at bats. 

As for this year it was nice to see Kang hit the ground running after coming back from his horrible leg injury last year. He is doing a nice job to pave the way for more and more KBL players. I'm sure the Pirates will be priced out now. 






12 comments:

  1. I like him a lot. Hope he rebounds ok long term from the injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he will play shortstop again. His range was questionable to begin with so I think the injury just made it easier to transition him to third.

      Delete
  2. Whew, I just picked up a Kang card for you and I thought it was that exact card. It's from the same set, but a little different. That was a close one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kang is by far the least represented in my collection of any of the current tenured Pirates. Thanks Tom!

      Delete
  3. I just traded Chad Bettis for him in fantasy. I let his owner (who has Dias and Machado at SS) pick any SP and he picked Bettis. I was...stunned. Easy steal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why in sam hell would you take a Rockies pitcher.....Great deal!....for you

      Delete
  4. I cursed his name an awful lot in that lasted a me of the Cubs series - he's going to be a pain in our side for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For whatever reason he just handles those top tier pitchers very well. Slow breaking stuff seems to be his kryptonite.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful card. Always enjoy Topps Museum year in and year out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like it too. The only issue is that new Pirates have been few and far between.

      Delete