The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Pokey Plays Hardball

Not that Pokey.....

This Pokey

Fleer Hardball Pokey Reese Platinum /50

This card checks a lot of boxes for me.

  • late 90's early 2000's parallel
  • short tenured Pirate
  • obscure Fleer set
  • Pokey Reese! 
Pokey is remembered fondly for his time in Cincinnati, but many people forget he had short stays with the Buccos and Red Sox. All his value was tied up in his fielding and ability to steal bases. Towards the tail end of his career injuries and the fact you can't steal first ended his career rather abruptly at the age of 31. It is hard to stick as a regular position player with obps below .300. If you are below that mark you better be able to hit the ball over the fence. 

The Hardball set is pretty obscure. I don't think I've ever seen one of the autos in person. Here is what they look like. 
I think this card sold for around $150 on eBay.  For star player versions like the Pokey card you will likely pay at least $10.  My purchase ran me around $5 as the shipping was more than the actual card. The card was unique enough that I didn't care. Pokey doesn't have many Pirate releases so it made for a fun addition.  

Thanks for reading! 



10 comments:

  1. Never heard of this set before - rather reminiscent of the old MSA discs. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of these now. Just glad all the Pirates are on the cheap side.

      Delete
  2. I've landed maybe one of these in trades myself, kind of a fun set! Nice to see old Calvin Reese up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a nice change of pace. I don't think I'll find a box or anything, but it was fun to get one.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Other than Giles and Kendall you can pretty much say that for all the Pirates during that time period.

      Delete
  4. I saw a few packs of this at a card shop in Japan once. Maybe I should've picked up a pack...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think box prices are that high. The singles on eBay hold good value because the odds were outrageously against you to get something of value.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. He is remembered pretty well in Pittsburgh too. If he could have hit just a little more he could have stayed in the league a long time.

      Delete