The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Old School Ballin'

My WVU collection is not near as large as my Pirate collection as the player pool is much smaller to choose from, and I had a later start (early 2000's) accumulating the collection. 

Lately our football program has been producing quite a bit of high end talent with the likes of Geno Smith, Tavon Austin and Kevin White, but as of now no one has been consistent enough to become an actual star in the cardboard world. Only Marc Bulger has put together a nice career in recent memory. While this helps in terms of picking up cards cheaply, it would be nice to see some of these guys make waves professionally. 

Basketball has been even more barren when it comes to collecting the Mountaineers. Only Joe Alexander, Da'sean Butler and Devin Ebanks have been drafted in the last 10 years, but both flamed out rather quickly. The one big exception has been Jerry West. If a new release basketball set has a legends component, in all likelihood it will have West on the checklist. Since his catalog is so extensive I try to limit myself to cards featuring him in the Mountaineer uniform. I'll happily take any Lakers cards, but they tend to carry more of a premium price on the secondary market.

2014-15 SPX Jerry West Jersey


I picked this card up for $7 back in April. The pose on the card is very similar to the one in which he is depicted on his statue in front of the Mountaineer Coliseum. 


I've been having fun the last few months adding to my Mountaineer collection. With most of the new baseball sets rehashing the same autos, I've been attempting to find some rarer cards of some of my favorite past Mountaineers. At some point I'll showoff some of the cooler ones. Helps break up the monotony of showing off 30 different Gregory Polanco sticker autos. 

Thanks for reading. 

6 comments:

  1. Would you be interested in a XXL West jersey, white WV there was one at my local thrift shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much do they want for it? Can't find much in the way of WVU stuff in thrift store around here.

      Delete
    2. $5 it's clean if you want it it's yours juat wanted to see if you collect jerseys

      Delete
  2. If you go way old school, there's also Minneapolis Laker (and WVU Mountaineer) Hot Rod Hundley... is that West Swatch purple or blue? oh boy, it's going to be an internet sensation #teampurpleswatch #teamblueswatch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually looks like WVU Blue, but it is probably just some weird even worn card.

      Hot Rod doesn't have much in the way of new cards. He was in a couple sets about 5 years back, but that is about it. I need to pick up some vintage of his.

      Delete