The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Plugs Winnings and Sweeps

In case you missed it, The Card Papoy is holding a contest celebrating his blogging anniversary. The winner gets free entry into one of our box breaks.

Click here to join the fun!

See how easy that was.  Now you can tell all your friends how worldly you are because you have a French friend.

Speaking of contests, I was the winner of one recently. Brian from Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary held a guessing contest in which I won. Yay me! This past Saturday I received a large envelope....


So many packs! I have shown restraint by not opening these yet. That rainy day will come soon though and I'll be sure the post the results
 A very creepy boxtopper.

This was still sealed nicely so I kept it as is for now. Old Pirate emblems are awesome.

Thanks for the great prize Brian. Who knew that guessing a few letters would be so lucrative.

The Pirates swept the Giants this afternoon. It is their 3rd sweep in 4 series. It just shows how important Cutch is to the Buccos. As soon as he started hitting at the beginning of May the Pirates have been winning. As expected the Cards, Cubs and Pirates are separating from the rest of the division.

2006 Topps Chrome Francisco Liriano Auto

Liriano was on the mound today and pitched a great game. He still doesn't have a certified Pirate auto so I went looking for a nice rookie auto. I believe this set me back $3. 

Cole and Liriano give the Pirates a nice righty/lefty combination. Ever since becoming a Pirate, Franky has seemed to turn the corner from his wild days. Command can still be an issue, but he has learned to scale back some and not try and strike everybody out. The three year contract that was signed at the beginning of the year seems like it will be very team friendly. 

Go join Kevin's contest

Thanks for reading.

14 comments:

  1. I'll be seeing your boys this weekend, Locke...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freaking Jeff Locke is the bane of my existence. The Braves are catching the right part of the rotation. You get to face two old friends in Morton and Locke.

      Delete
  2. Liriano has been a strikeout machine for my fantasy team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liriano is pretty underrated. He pitched a game last week where he struck out 12 of the 18 he faced.

      Delete
  3. The Spectrum pack is a home made Pirates hot pack, if you have restrained yourself from opening that one yet. . . .

    Also, I'm very happy for Liriano - when he was good, he was "Johan Santana good" - I feel lucky to have seen him pitch in person, and I hope to get the chance to do so again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should clarify "when he was good" to mean when he was with the Twins he would have good days and BAD days. He seems to be limiting the bad days more and more now. He's good more often than not now!

      Delete
    2. Ooooohhh. Now I will be opening that up for sure tonight. I didn't examine that closely as I would have opened everything if I held the packs in my hand for too long.

      Delete
    3. Liriano is wild in a good way now. He gets so many people to swing at his slider that is no where near the strike zone. He is still capable of the melt down start, but thankfully those are limited to about 2 a year. Your Twins were the benefit of one already.

      Delete
    4. That slider has always been his money pitch. When he came up to the Twins, he was throwing three plus pitches: slider, 96mph fastball, change up. Just like a mini Johan, the change was just like the fastball, only about 10 to 12 mph slower.

      Delete
    5. He doesn't throw the change all that much anymore. He pretty much is slider/fast dominant.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, come join my contest ! let's all eat birthday cake !
    And you gotta love all those packs from way back !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a blast to open.

      Yay cake! Now that people know that cake will be served you will get 1000 participants.

      Delete
  5. I still need to add a Franky certified auto to my collection. I have a ball and photo, but no cardboard. You got that for a great price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His stuff is super cheap. I figure at some point he will get a Pirate issue since he has the three year deal.

      Delete