The Legend

The Legend

Monday, June 1, 2015

Rookie Recollection

I usually keep an eye out for new Buccos when a set is released. When Bowman came out I made note of the rookies and any Pirates that seemed exciting. Well, I guess I was a little to nonchalant in my research as a true gem slipped through the cracks. One day I was searching eBay and stumbled onto this.
2015 Bowman Moises Alou Rookie Recollection /50

It is nice to see a new Pirate auto! I've been souring on most of the 2015 releases as most are just rehashing the same old stuff. In terms of Pirates every set was featuring Marte and Polanco and that is about it. When this card popped up I knew I had to have it. Sure enough I secured the gold version of the auto and in Chris's last group break I received the non auto'd version. 

Alou only saw action for the Buccos in a couple of games before he was dealt as the player to be named later in the Zane Smith deal. The Pirates were looking to bolster their rotation for the playoff push and already had a loaded outfield so Alou was expendable. Moises would go on to have a great career most notably with the Expos and Cubs.

Here is the checklist. I know the Snorting Bull has already completed the auto set!

RR-BW Bernie Williams - New York Yankees
RR-CB Carlos Baerga - Cleveland Indians
RR-FT Frank Thomas - Chicago White Sox
RR-JG Juan Gonzalez - Texas Rangers
RR-JO John Olerud - Toronto Blue Jays
RR-MA Moises Alou - Pittsburgh Pirates
RR-MG Marquis Grissom - Montréal Expos

Thanks for reading!





10 comments:

  1. Wow, nice bunch of players...and Juan Gonzalez. I'm digging the Alou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cards bring back some cool memories. I always liked the shout of Alou just chilling in the dugout.

      Delete
  2. It's a murderer's row of early 90s awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! It is a cool checklist. It would be a fun set to chase, but Thomas and Bernie have pretty high auto prices.

      Delete
  3. Alou was a beast with the Mets.Pretty much everywhere else he played,too.I love how my 90's late 80's guys are getting the cardboard treatment these last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a plus player his entire career. His stats are very consistent from the time he received regular playing time with the Expos until he retired. Just a solid major leaguer.

      Delete
  4. Do you know if this is going to be the "issued across all Bowman sets insert" in the way that the "1989 Bowman is Back" sparkly cards were last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find out anything on cardboardconnection.com to see if they are planning to do it for Chrome. I did see that they were going to do a superfractors that never were set. They were going to take some older players who were around before the "superfractors" came to be and give them one with a modern flair.

      Delete