The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Trade: Dime Boxes

Nick and I have a nice blind trade going. Whenever I find something a little off the wall I send it his way and he usually rewards with a nice mix of Pirates old and new. I've already made a New Years resolution for myself to attend a card show next year so maybe I can even return some dime box finds your way.

This is the card that caught my eye first because of the team USA uniform from the Futures game. That year the game was held in Pittsburgh and I was in attendance. The roster was quite impressive from that game. So much so I may have to do a post about it one day.

On a side note I always had a running joke with my friends that a great drinking game to play during a Pirates broadcast would be to take a shot every time the announcers make reference that Walker is from Pittsburgh. You would be hurting by the time the game ends.
 Cool looking card of the great Honus Wagner.
It will be interesting to see how Kingham might help the big league team this year. He has pitched well at all levels of the minors so I'm assuming at some point he will make his debut. Kingham is a guy that I actively shop for on eBay so I'm always happy to receive his cards.
Not too many guys make for a better baseball card than Kent Tekulve. Dark glasses....check.......cool delivery......check......awesome Pirates uniform.....check.
I have always had a soft spot for the old Pacific Legends sets. I remember getting these when I was young from my mom.
I haven't messed around with Update too much this year but this set represented a significant moment in my life. A few weeks back my wife had to run to Target and I stayed home with the baby. When she returned she gave me a pack of Update. This marks the first time ever my wife purchased cards for me. I thought I was going to cry and die of shock at the same time.

By the way it was nice to see Josh Harrison gets some love. One of the best out of nowhere seasons this year.

I love Gerrit Cole.  I'm really expecting big things this year, health permitting. The Ginter mini has a nice look.



Custom Marte!

The Dutch Card Guys favorite player. 

Thanks so much for the cards Nick. I already have a few cards for another package set aside for you. I would classify them as frankenset extreme! 

Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed everything, Matt! The fact that you were at that USA game made the Walker destined to be in your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the cards! The Futures game was fun. Walker was still catching at the time.

      Delete
  2. Nice cards. I think I have a few of those '06 Bowman Draft Futures Game cards somewhere, if I find them I'll send them your way.

    And yeah the minors were absolutely loaded between 05-08. The draft classes between 2005 and 2008 were phenomenal (and pretty much triggered the prospect hugging era we live in today).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2005 has to be one of the best drafts ever. Out of the first 12 picks only 2 haven't seen significant major league action.

      Delete
  3. nice selection from Nick! Blyleven rocks that uniform!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That he does. The Pirates had some awesome uniforms during that time frame.

      Delete
  4. Great group of cards, loving the Hostess Blyleven - the unis are great. Still waiting on my wife to surprise me with cards. She has picked up a specific blaster I have asked her to on a trip to Target but still waiting for the just because pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always told her never to try and buy single cards because it would be way to complicated for me to explain what I have and don't have. As far as packs go I'm happy with what ever I can get.

      Delete