The Legend

The Legend

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Box Break: 2014 Heritage Minors

My last box break from my Black Friday binge is 2014 Heritage Minors. I was excited for this break because this is the my first experience opening this product. I love following prospects so this set is a perfect fit. Plus I'll be getting minor league baseball in my backyard next year as Morgantown will be the home of the Pirates short season team the West Virginia Black Bears.

Here is a mix of some big name base cards. The way Kris Bryant sells this base card probably fetches over $300. I'm sure the Twins are pumped for Buxton and Sano. Both are coming off injuries, but are higly touted. 


Pirate prospect mix. Jameson Taillon is supporting a nice creeper mustache. The Jamestown Jammers is the team the Black Bears will be replacing and playing their games in Morgantown.

 The flashback inserts that are familiar to anybody that buys Heritage.

The Road to the Show insert features some young prospects. 



 The black parallels are /105.

Ben Lively was a 4th round pick in 2013 with the Reds. He has had some success early in his pro career. If he continues to progress he may be able to make some noise with the big league club soon as Cueto, Latos and Simon are all free agents after this season. 

 Levon Washington is an Indians prospect who has suffered a lot of setbacks in his career.
Crick is the Giants best prospect and will probably be a top 20 prospect by the time the season rolls around.  You interested Adam?

I actually enjoyed opening Heritage Minors more than Heritage. It was fun reading about the players and seeing the cool minor league uniforms. Also, you get the bonus of a few extra hits in the minor league version. I'm going after the base set, but I would be willing to trade the inserts and hits. 

Thanks for reading. I'm actually hitting the road tomorrow.  My work is sending me to some training in Houston for a good chunk of the week. I still plan on posting time permitting. 


11 comments:

  1. Cool break! This was a good looking set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I may open one more box if I can find a deal.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a nice break.
    I especially love the bj-face on Tucker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking cards... I'm kinda wondering if I should've bought a box myself (he said, ignoring the large amount of cards he has already purchased and hasn't had a chance to look at...)

    If I lived in the area, I'd be all over the Black Bears... It looks like the ballpark is going to be very nice, and Black Bears is a cool name, unlike some of the other candidates... "Coal Sox"? "Energy"? "Wild Ones"? Yeccch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite was the black diamonds but black bears is cool.

      Delete
  4. Am I the only one that doesn't believe that Blackbears legitimately won? I know I put in about two dozen votes for Moonshiners, and everybody I saw posting on various Pirates forums was voting the same. It's going to be hard to watch the team without getting a craving for a burrito...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most "Name the team" contests are a little on the questionable side... I think most of the time they have a particular name, or several names, in mind and use the vote as a factor in deciding, but necessarily the be-all, end-all.

      The problem with "Moonshiners" is that you can't market it to kids, and a significant share of the merchandising revenue comes from selling kids' merch. Adults wear the same stuff year to year, but kids outgrow things and need new stuff. There are also the youth leagues which use minor league team names rather than paying the relatively high licensing fees associated with using MLB names & logos. No youth league is going to have a team called the "Moonshiners"... at least, no league that I'd want to put my kid in. :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm sure Black Bear Burritos will like the free advertising. I liked Black Diamonds but black bears will work. Morgantown probably didn't want the booze name.

      Delete
  5. All these minor league team names really stand out inside those pennants.

    Now that the Rockies have changed up their farm teams a bit, Go Isotopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can wait to see the new uniforms. Love the isotopes by the way....One of my favorite logos.

      Delete