The Legend

The Legend

Friday, December 5, 2014

Box Break: 2014 Donruss x 3

Part 2 of my Black Friday wax binge was 3 boxes of 2014 Donruss. Dave and Adams knocked the price all the way down to 36 bucks which was a great deal. Each box guarantees 2 autos and a relic card. While I wasn't able to top the big hit from my set of Heritage high number, I thought I had some pretty good boxes.



Press Proofs

On average you will pull 2 Press Proofs a box.  Most are numbered to 199 while some of the rarer versions are /99. This King Felix was my favorite as it was the Diamond King version /99.







 Elite Dominator




Elite Dominators are numbered to /999 and have a cool look. One of the fun aspects of Donruss is that you get a lot of parallel cards and throwback inserts.




The Elite Series



I pulled two pretty big names from The Elite Series insert set. They are also numbered to 999. I actually pulled two of the Strasburgs. 

Stat Parallels

You get a bunch of the stat parallels in each box. This Longoria numbered to 88 was the best I pulled.


Broke the odds with this Gee patch /25. Not the best swatch you'll find, but you can make out three colors. 








The checklist of autos in series 1 Donruss is a nice mix of young and old. Retired players such as Horton and Baylor was neat to pull. I'm on a hot streak pulling Taijuan Walker as my Topps Chrome box a few weeks back netted me a black refractor.  Of course my favorite auto was the Starling Marte redemption. I know he signed this card as I've already received one in the mail earlier this year. I may challenge myself and try and complete the entire auto set. 50 cards overall, but you don't have to worry about any huge names.

Overall for $36 Donruss is a fun break. The base set is very plain and uninspiring, but the inserts and autos make up for it. The set itself is tough to put together as well. The first 45 cards in the set are all short prints with 1-30 being the Diamond Kings and 31-45 the Rated Rookies. I've opened a lot of boxes and still don't have it complete. Also, Donruss got sneaky and added three cards to the end of the set via a wrapper redemption. I'm sending in a ton of wrappers to see if I can get multiples of each card. The players were Tanaka, Abreu and Ventura from the Royals.

Tomorrow I'll show off my Heritage Minors box.

Thanks for reading!

16 comments:

  1. It's a great break for the price, even though I despise base set SP's. The base set is a little bland, but I like the retro feel to it. I'm hoping Panini continues it as their baseball flagship product, but it seems like their releases haven't had much continuity since they got back into baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opened a good bit of Donruss and Prizm. Panini gives more options at the price my friends and I are comfortable with when we bust boxes. I hope they keep Donruss as the flagship too.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, that Walker pull could be quite something in a few months from now. I see that you're also a Choice magnet so if you ever try your luck with a box of '10 Bowman Draft I think I know what you'll get.
    Nice Marte pull too, you seem to also have a knack for pulling Pirates redemptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Walker can learn some control he will be good. Maybe if both he and Choice turn into superstars I'll retire once I sell my hoard of autos.

      Delete
  3. Very nice selection of autos. As an old-school guy, the Baker and Horton are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! You will never be left with a box scratching your head wondering if the players actually play baseball.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fun break! If you need the Bucky Dent auto back for your set just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. In Series 2 they fixed that by going with the Donruss Elite model. The Orange is a little overpowering.

      Delete
  6. Willie Horton...now I'M drooling! great price on those cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light bulb shining bright over my head. If I recall you pulled a pretty good Pirate not so long a go. Obviously Mr. Horton would not be enough to pry it away from you, but it could be a start.

      Delete
  7. Nice Break! That Walker is pretty nice! I'm not a fan of Donruss at all, but if you like it, go ahead and buy some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what you are getting into when you buy Donruss, so no big surprises. I think with a few tweeks it could be a solid mainstay for Panini.

      Delete
  8. I like the Gee patch, is it for trade?

    ReplyDelete