The Legend

The Legend

Monday, December 29, 2014

You Can Still Find a Deal

Before I started blogging I would purchase most cards through eBay. Since I live in an area that doesn't have a card shop it really is the only economical way of adding to my collection. As time passed the process was starting to become boring. It seemed like I was only searching for cards out of habit and not getting total enjoyment out of my collection.  When the card arrived their was some excitement, but it was short lived and the card was filed away.

This was one of the major factors into starting up Bob Walk the Plank. My collecting needed an adrenaline shot. Now I have a way to talk about a cool card I picked up or discuss a trade. I really craved the interaction and love hearing from other collectors. The blog even facilitated a couple of my friends to reenter the hobby. The same friends that I get together once a month to open a box.

With all that being said I still utilize eBay, but now have a way I can share this gem.
2014 Panini Classics Gerrit Cole Auto Patch /10

This card was not easy to find within my normal search parameters. For one the seller listed it as "Gerrie Cole" which helped keep the price low. Also, the fact that the seller was from Taiwan probably scared some people off. After it was all said and done I won the auction for $15. A nice deal for a patch auto out of a high end set. If you haven't looked, go and check out the checklist from this set. Lots of interesting combinations.

Thanks for reading!



24 comments:

  1. I am always afraid of buying any cards that don't come from the US or Canada. I really should stop being worried about that, as counterfeits can come from anywhere. Then again, if I spend more than $5 a card I am going hog wild. Usually don't fake a card that only goes for a buck or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had good luck buying from international sellers. You just have to trust the feedback.

      Delete
  2. Nice pickup, Matt -- and for a good price even with having to have the card shipped halfway around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony! You and I are getting close to our 1 year blog birthdays. How should we celebrate?

      Delete
  3. Great patch and auto and a nice deal thanks to a spelling mistake! Can't ask for much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that card sold for about half of what it should have. Hard to find deals like that on eBay anymore.

      Delete
  4. Sooner or later more cards from eBay will emerge. You'd be surprised how big and profitable the market for trading cards are over in Asia (hence why Topps has issued several Asia exclusive sets already).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't buy much basketball, but when I have half has come from Asia.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! You got a great deal. I just picked up Cole's 2013 Five Star autograph #'d to 353 and paid more than that ($13 + $2.34 shipping).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is still a pretty good deal. Five Star always demands a premium price. Good time to buy Cole autos right now. Hopefully he has his big breakout this year.

      Delete
  6. I've gotten a ton of cards from China/Taiwan and I've never been disappointed (plus, obviously, they offer good shipping charges for international buyers, since all their buyers are international...).Nice looking non-licensed card !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this seller only charged $3 shipping. He looked to be a well established seller. Half the time I don't even pay attention to seller location as long as the shipping is reasonable and the feedback is good.

      Delete
  7. I tend to buy more of the contemporary stuff on Ebay,as far as singles go.Older cards are so easy to counterfeit these days that it's a crap shoot.Great find,though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My entire vintage collection has been collected through blog trades. If I was going to make a real high end purchase I would probably only buy a graded version.

      Delete
  8. I buy a decent number of cards from across the Pacific. Often they arrive sooner and better-packaged than items I order from a couple of states away. It seems like shipping into the US costs a lot less than shipping out of the US, even to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great card that is. Awesome patch and the auto rocks as well.

    Also, I agree with what you said about checking and trusting Ebay feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  10. chac chan thai doc va lam trang da dang so huu rat nhieu long tin yeu tu phia quy khach hang giup cho day bien thanh 1 trong cac san pham khong the thieu trong cuoc song cua tat ca moi nguoi.

    ReplyDelete