The Legend

The Legend

Monday, September 19, 2016

A Real Giant

When I made my card shop visit in Providence I went it with low expectations and came out with over 100 cards.  Needless to say I had a good time. Most of the cards I came home with were WVU related so it doesn't make for the greatest blogging material.  I'll probably show the notable ones on football Saturday's.

The Pirate cards I did come home with were low end autos and relics.  The one notable outlier was this beauty....

1964 Topps Giant Bob Clemente

When I was getting ready to negotiate my final purchase price with the shop owner he brought one of these bad boys out to show me. The crazy thing was he had stacks of all the high end guys from this set.  He told me a few weeks earlier an older gentleman came in looking to unload a ton of these Giant cards. The owner bought all of them, sent a bunch for grading and pieced out the rest for individual sell.  

After some negotiation the owner decided just to give me the Clemente card because I had spent a good amount of money on all the other cards. I was pretty pumped up.  Right as I was leaving I added the Yaz copy to my stack to give to Mark Hoyle when I met up with him the next day. He did have that card already, but he happily took my copy as it was in much better shape. 

From what I understand this set use to be very expensive, but several years back a whole bunch of these were found and hit the market. Obviously the big names still sell, but as long as you are buying ungraded copies it is affordable. 

Thanks for reading. 


18 comments:

  1. Free vintage Clemente? That's a GIANT deal! Ba dum tiss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift! Very nice Clemente. I have a few of those 64 Topps Giants and they are real beauties! The photography is so much nicer than most Topps issues back then - and it's a much smaller set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the card! The 1964 Giant set gets overlooked because it's oversized, but it's a fantastic set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free Clemente? Color me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was nice of him to throw it in. He loved hearing about all the blogs and how we just give cards to each other.

      Delete
  5. Man, you must have spent a ton at that store to get that for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of time and money, but I regret nothing. It was a good time.

      Delete
  6. Very cool card! I've become a big fan of oddball sized cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest part is the storage. I actually have this card displayed on a shelf now.

      Delete
  7. Sweet card! And can't beat the price.

    ReplyDelete