The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Drink Break From the Pub

Hope everyone is enjoying all the sports today.  My interest in the NFL goes down quite a bit year by year.  I'm pretty much to the point where I just root for all the WVU guys. I root for the Steelers, but if they lose it really doesn't register for me. I find myself more excited if someone like Tavon Austin has a big day.  Baseball is a far superior sport anyway!

While I was gone this week my good pal Tony from Tony's Sports Pub hooked me up with a bunch of Pirates and Steelers.  







Some names that invoke great thoughts and cringes in this mix of 2007 Fleer.  Guys like Bay and Jack Wilson were loved by the fanbase, but guys like Jose Castillo and Ian Snell could not live up to potential.

The Turkey Red cards are cool.
This was my favorite card of the entire bunch that Tony sent.


Freddy and Jack were mainstays in the Pirates lineup in the mid to late 2000's. Ultra is an underated set.
I barely have an Steelers cards from the mid 90's. This was a nice surprise.  The Kordell card showing him in his Colorado uniform is super cool.
The mustache game is legit in these late 80's Fleer cards.

Michael Restovich had 92 plate appearances as a Bucco.  I know I watch too much baseball in that I even remember him!
Heritage decided to make all the Pirates look like ghosts here.

Finishing strong here. While the Leyland is a classic card it can easily be beat out in the awesome factor by the legend.

Thanks Tony for all the great cards. I'll hit you up again soon.  I need to reload on some trade bait.


14 comments:

  1. I thought I had a decent number of 1990's Steelers, but I don't have any of those cards... I don't even have any cards from that 1995 Score set... Something I'll have to remedy.

    I can understand photoshopping the Colorado logo off of Slash's helmet, but why would they removed his uniform number?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized I didn't leave the comment I was going to make in the first place... I've been a Steelers fan for over 30 years, and even though they're a legit contender, I find that my enthusiasm has been low the last couple of years. I had been blaming my lack of love for Roethlisberger, but now I'm starting to wonder if I just don't like Tomlin's style of play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been so involved in the college game my whole life that the NFL was always going to be on the back burner for me. My NFL fandom peaked a few seasons after the Steelers drafted Roethlisberger. Ever since then it is down a notch every season. I'm to the point where I don't even really enjoy going to the games in person. The NFL provides the worst in game experience of all the major sports. It is a true tv sport.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize that one of the cards I sent you was the same as your blogs header.I should come by more often ;)Glad you could use some of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I provide a good home for all Pirate cards, even if I do have some of the ones you sent! Thanks again for the cards. They were fun to sort through.

      Delete
  4. That Jack Wilson is awesome. I've got a great Clemens from that set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack was one of my favorites to collect during the mid 2000's.

      Delete
  5. That spooky Pirates ghost card is pretty sweet... but the Turkey Red Jack Wilson is a tad bit sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Restovich too! But he was in the Twins system for a long long time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how certain players just stick in your mind no matter how obscure.

      Delete