The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Rest of the Hoyling

I've mentioned a few times on the blog and Twitter about the cards Mark Hoyle gave me in person, but this time I wanted to make sure to fully acknowledge them with a trade post.  I've been trading with Mark for a couple of years now and his generosity knows no bounds. The guy is top notch.

We had a good laugh because Mark told me I've probably given him most of the relics he owns and I told him he has single handedly gave me a respectable vintage collection.  Our collecting styles make for easy blind trades with each other.

First was a new card that celebrates an old.  Great looking card.  I've been frustrated with Topps as they continually use unflattering pictures of Maz late in his career.  This is a much better choice.
 A true vintage card of the Pirate great.

 This trade package was very Maz oriented! Maybe I should try and put this Maz tattoo on my daughter...

Recently I was reading an article and Maz that basically said Maz was an undeserving hall of famer. If you look at the numbers it is hard to argue his case.  It helps to have one of the defining moments in World Series history to put you over the top.  Maz's issue was his bat.  While not a liability he never had anything close to resembling a hall of fame type of offensive season.  His value was always tied to his glove. Probably the closest case in recent history to Maz would be Ozzie Smith, but Ozzie played a premium position.  I'm glad Maz is in, but definitely understand where people are coming from saying that he is fringe at best.


I've shown this card a couple of times, but it is just so cool that I continue to show it off.  I'm all for cigarette companies making cards again along with every other oddball type of issue.  I agree with Mecca Cigarettes slogan on the bottom, "Perfect Satisfaction."

Thanks again Mark.  Hopefully we can meet up again soon.  You need to come to PNC next year.


12 comments:

  1. If you do put the tattoo on your daughter, and you need a place to stay afterwards, let me know. ~pks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maz is ranked one of the greatest defensive 2nd baseman in history. When is he voted in, offense wasn't such a big deal now, so sure - if you want to argue his bat against current numbers, maybe his election is questionable. But if you keep his stats in the era he played, he is very deserving of the plaque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The veterans committee makes some questionable calls for the hall of fame so it wasn't surprising to see articles calling into question Maz's credentials when he was inducted in 2001. The funny thing is the Pirates have some of the more notable fringe hall guys like Ralph Kiner and Lloyd Waner.

      Voting habits have changed over the years. The light hitting infielders really don't have much of a chance. If you take the thought process that guy Maz in you would probably have to put in a guy like Omar Vizquel. I don't see Omar making it anytime soon.

      Delete
  3. Would love to catch a game at PNC someday. Looks to be about 8-9 hrs. Those 1911 Meccas are beautiful cards. Lots of fun meeting up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes I agree with Jeff Max deserves to be in the HOF. Amazing amount of double plays.

      Delete
    2. Never seen one of those Mecca cards before. They are pretty cool looking!

      Delete
    3. Mark: I'm glad Maz got in when he did. The Pirates didn't have many guys to collect at the time so all the hall of fame Maz cards made for a fun distraction.

      Tom: They are super cool.

      Delete
  4. Those Mecca folders are awesome! And I get the argument about Mazeroski; an epic home run didn't get Joe Carter or Bobby Thomson in. Lou Whitaker, Bobby Grich and maybe Jeff Kent might be superior second basemen - but as JediJeff said the era and the great defense counts for a lot. Someone has to occupy the "bottom tier" of the Hall. At least your guy is in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super pumped when they let him in, but understand the argument surrounding him. The good thing is that the veterans committee has had a lot of suspect admissions so the Maz one doesn't look as bad in the context of the whole body of work.

      Delete
  5. That Mecca card is sweet! As for Maz... he played his final MLB game when I was just a month old... so all I have are stats and fans' opinions to go on. So if you say he deserves to be in... I can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if he deserved it, but I'm glad he got in. I was kind of hoping Dave Parker would get some momentum but that never happened.

      Delete