The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Yellow Plates

This is the first year where I haven't bought any Opening Day in a long time. I've accepted the fact that it will always mirror the Series 1 release, so I don't think that was the reason. The blue parallels were a little disappointing in that they didn't number them and the overall look doesn't stray far from the base card. Whatever the case I really haven't been interested in too much in 2015 releases besides Series 1 and Donruss (hears collective groan from the blogosphere). It was weird being at Target and not buying a blaster the other day. FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY!

With that being said I still try to cherry pick any Pirates that catch my eye for the right price. As I've said before I don't generally chase printing plates unless they are of more obscure players, but exceptions can be made, especially for Gregory Polanco.

2015 Topps Opening Day Gregory Polanco Yellow Printing Plate

I seem to be a magnet for his cards which is not a bad thing. It is no big secret I'm a huge fan and was happy that he has gotten off to a decent start. The Pirates as a whole have been terrible offensively with the exception of Polanco and Neil Walker. Good pitching and some timely 2 out hitting has kept them above the .500 mark. I'm not big on making huge changes because of April numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if Polanco slides up to the leadoff spot this year. I'm not convinced that Josh Harrison can keep a high enough obp to warrant leading off.

Thanks for reading!




10 comments:

  1. Sweet Polanco.

    Mark Hoyle sent me the OD cards of Dellin & A-Rod the other day so I don't need to pick up any OD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zippy! I've received some in trades. Just haven't had the urge to build that set like last year. Getting picky at my old age.

      Delete
  2. Sweet plate! Congratulations on your purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! Not my favorite type of cards to chase, but Polanco is one of my favorites so I was happy to add it.

      Delete
  3. I used to roll my eyes 20 years ago when they introduced 1/1 cards, becoming a prophet of doom (then again, I was right). It's a pain when you're a player or team collector, but I do have to admit that they are really cool. And since there are sooooo many of them and not that many people chasing them, they can be found at reasonable prices (for non-stars, as you said). Always nice to know you have a unique card in your collection !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my favorite ones are usually in Update. A lot of times that is where you will find the obscure player that only spent half a season with the Pirates. Jedi Jeff sent a John Axford plate a couple weeks back. He was terrible with the Pirates for the couple months he was there, but I love that card.

      The good thing is I don't feel obligated to chase this kind of stuff. I like to think of myself as a casual team collector who chases what he likes.

      Delete
  4. Great card to add to your collection. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pickup of a player who could be very good soon. All Pirates plates should be yellow and black!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow plates seems to look good on all Pirates.

      Delete