The Legend

The Legend

Monday, March 2, 2015

Box Break: 2007 Fleer Ultra SE

I'm a little behind posting my box breaks as I always try and give trade packages priority. I opened up this box of Ultra right after Xmas as it was part of a bigger purchase from Steel City. Ultra SE is a set that fell flat with collectors as the ultra premium 5 cards per pack, 5 packs per box wasn't enough to keep people excited.

When I saw this set on discount I figured at the very least it would yield some good trade bait and the potential was there for some bigger named hits. The rookie class in the set featured the likes of Braun, Tulowitzki and Alex Gordon so that was a bonus too.

While the box didn't net a huge card and did provide lots of fun names.


My lone Pirate was this base card of Jack Wilson. 

Seeing Piazza in an A's uniform always seems weird. Maybe I should find something of his in the Marlins uniform too!

My rookies were the biggest disappointment of the box as the set was full of premium names, but I stuck out getting any of them. At least Christ Stewart is a current Pirate. If I recall Zippy provided me with the auto version late last year. 

 I liked the Feel the Game inserts the best. This set was heavy on Ripken inserts too.
At the time Grady Sizemore was turning into a superstar so this card would have been much more desirable. Obviously injuries derailed his career.
When I opened this from the pack I didn't even noticed the jersey swatch. This card resembles the insert version above so I thought I just got a double.
 Bad scan! I had a knack of pulling Estrada back in the day so it is fitting I would pull him again. Thankfully he is in his Brewers uniform so maybe Tony would like this card.
Another guy who I pulled a ton back in the mid 2000's. Teixeira along with Hank Blalock and Michael Young seemed to have hits in every set for about a 3 year span.

Odds wise this was my rarest hit in the box. The Gold parallels are /75 and feature a lot of big names. You interested Kevin? 

It was fun to open up some Ultra cards. While the end result was a little lacking it allowed me to stock up on some trade bait. Let me know if anything catches your eye in the comments. All of these are for trade.

Thanks for reading! 

14 comments:

  1. Nice break. For a box from 2007 you could do a lot worse than the names you pulled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. I was right in the middle road. The auto was the worst part.

      Delete
  2. Wells is one of my favorite Blue Jays, so sure, I'd love that card, thanks ! Didn't you say that you opened a ton of those back in the day ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yours my friend. I opened a lot of Ultra, but not this SE edition. It was too expensive back in the day. Did a lot of eBay cherry picking for the Pirates.

      Delete
  3. Johnny Estrada: one of many random catchers that the Brewers signed in the first decade of this century prior to Jonathan Lucroy. If that Johnny is homeless, well, of course I'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of blogging. I won't be stuck with a Johnny Estrada auto! It will be set aside for you.

      Delete
  4. Even as an A's fan, I can't get used to seeing Piazza as an Athletic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice break. I do think that you will have better luck finding a unicorn than a Piazza in a Marlins uni. Wasn't his stay in Miami pretty brief?

    Btw, if you are trading that Teixeira, I am very interested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot me your email Mike. The Tex is yours.

      Piazza was only in Florida a few weeks I believe.

      Delete
    2. It can be done! The Database shows that he has 95 cards with the Marlins. Several of which have been uploaded and show him in the Marlins uniform. http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Person.cfm/pid/4637/Mike-Piazza
      You can use the filters to select Marlins cards.

      Delete
    3. I vaguely remember one of the high end sets doing some Marlin cards. Maybe Tribute?

      Delete
  6. I've always liked Ultra, but these don't seem to be worth a premium price point...they look like regular Ultra cards from the scans. Maybe they are extra thick or something? I can't blame you for not doing these when they were new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would have been 100+ when it was released. Not worth it. It really isn't that fun of a break because of the low number of packs. The good rookies and quality relics make it better for the lower price point.

      Delete